This picture pretty much sums up how I feel about this dress -it stinks! I should note here that this is not the Colette Hawthorn pattern - I drafted my own because I'm cheap and I didn't want to fork out another £12 after the mediocrity of Laurel. I did make a bodice toile but I still had problems with the final dress -
The upper back is too wide, I should have increased the length and depth of the back darts and brought the back of the armscye in a bit.
I have no idea what's going on with my face in this pic, something must have been worrying me! No matter how hard I press this collar it will not sit flat, I guess my fabric has enough body not to need any interfacing but I was too busy forcing myself to finish so I just dealt with it the way I would any other collar - with interfacing!
I still love this fabric but it wasn't right for this dress, it makes be feel like a frump .. maybe a random scarf used as a belt will help...
yep, that breaks up the expanse of blue a bit!
I didn't do anything too fancy with the finishing, the seams are overlocked and the hem is finished with bias tape. You can't really see it on this pic but the fabric has some minty green stripes that match the colour of the tape perfectly.
I got these little red riding hood labels from ebay last year, I love them, they are super cute they made me enormously happy when I see them peeking out of my clothes.
I'm done with shirt dresses for the time being, sooo I thought I may as well give away one of my shirt-dress patterns - McCalls 7038 bust 36", check out those shoulder yokes -ripe for embroidery or contrasting fabric. If you would like this pattern just leave me a comment and a way to contact you, I'm happy to send it anywhere in the world :)