Tuesday, 20 August 2013

I made a sack!

I've been sewing again, semi-seriously for the past 6 years. I've been reading blogs for about 2, all the time feeling slightly self satisfied when someone made a total clanger, That will never be me, I arrogantly thought to myself - only then I was blinded by Colettes epic genius marketing campaign for Laurel and I ignored that little voice that said 'shift dresses look shit on you, you have to much boobage to wear a shift dress'

Last time I ignore that little voice




thank Bob for belts..


 
 If the hem looks wonky, it's because it is, it was a 'I'm gonna finish this project as quick as poss because I hate and I don't give a toss that it looks like its been hemmed by a blind hamster'


A not on this fabric - if you see it BUY IT. It is truly awesome crease resistant linen, very cool to wear, it does have its pit falls though, it is quite shifty and frays like polyester chiffon. 

I still have quite a lot of this fabric left (I overbuy fabric so I can get 'bonus' projects out of the remaining metre-age) I don't know whether to make Tania culottes or Iris shorts and a sleeveless top. Tough decisions.




13 comments:

  1. Bah! You're so funny! And I thought too clever to be sucked into the Laurel phenomenon! Ha ha!
    But the fabric and the belt actually do make this dress and it suits you in the end.
    ... still giggling over the blind hamster! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rarely suckerered in by advertising - I must have been having a rough week!

      Delete
  2. The belt saves it - and it's gorgeous fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna - the fabric is the only reason this got saved, It's too nice to throw into the recycling pile

      Delete
  3. I like it a lot with the belt. The fabric is a good choice for you. I thought the post was hilarious. I tried to make a really nice dress last year and it ended up being a night dress, so we've all been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, at least we are all getting some use out of our 'duds'

      Delete
  4. I had an epic fail dress short ago, too, when not listening to my inner voice... probably this happens to all of us from time to time. I like your Laurel dress with the belt though, looks totally great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a lifesaver this summer for work - nice and cool and stays looking smart after a day in a boiling hot shop

      Delete
  5. Yeah am another with too much boobage for shift dresses, so they don't get entertained. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may 'frankenstein' the pattern - add some darts and pattern magic madness, it's too depressing to have it sat there never to be used again

      Delete
  6. LOL I just had to stop by & say I love the word "clanger" - perfect description for a total sewing fail ^_^ That said, I too have too much boobage for most shifty type garments but the laurel (strangely!) worked for me - without those back darts it would have been a clanger for sure ;) Yours looks good belted though - not a total loss! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks awesome belted! Very elegant. I'd never get away with a high neck as I don't have *enough* boobage - belting shapeless things mostly makes me look bulgy :)

    ReplyDelete