Thursday, 17 October 2013

An Unseasonal Dress

When is a wadder not a wadder? when you discover that absolutely enormous dress you made two years ago now fits your chubby frame.

I have just been on holiday to the happiest place on earth and like all good sewists I left it to a fortnight before I went away to decide I needed to sew new holiday approps clothes - that is why I have been absent so long. I sewed 7 complete garments in that fortnight, its a wonder I didn't die of sewing exhaustion. In my sewing frenzy I discovered this dress in the jersey stash -

no idea what is going on with that foot, why do I pose like someone with a broken ankle?
This is the Cynthia Rowley dress with the un-stitchable racer back that every man and his dog made a couple of years ago. I actually saw the designers version in a TK Maxx one time. The fabric it was made out of was gross- it felt like a wetsuit and the zipper was wavy.

Now although this was made over two years ago now I still remember what a bitch it was to construct. At the time I had just got my overlocker and was going through a phase of overlocking all of the things. As this was designed for knits I thought I was onto a winner. No. See those straps/banding across the top of the bodice, no way in hells those can be overlocked neatly and you haven't even seen the back.


See, not a snowballs of getting around opposing curves, in fact I still did a really crappy job of it with my regular sewing machine, there are little puckers all over this thing.


I tried gathering the skirt on my overlocker as well, lets just say I've not done it again. I love my overlocker beyond all reason but no matter how much I tinker with the settings I can never get a gather that I am happy with. 

Despite all its faults, this dress was super comfy to walk around a hot busy theme park all day. I took it originally as I thought it would be ok for lounging around the villa and since I didn't really care about it if my case was overweight on the way back home I could dump it. But it made the journey back, I like the fabric too much! I think it will get re-made into a t-shirt. 

Expect more photos with eye searingly bright blue skies soon

Rachel :)

8 comments:

  1. Seven dresses in such a short time, this is impressing!
    I also have problems serging around small curves, I don't even know if it's possible! The little puckers are not visible in the photos, and I think that no one else noticed them except you, but I know what you mean, it's also the little flaws that bother me in a self-made garment.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your other dresses, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, it was acually four pairs of shorts and three tops (and a toile of my shorts and a half completed pair of tania culottes) I still need to sort out most of my photo's but I hope to get them posted soon

      Delete
  2. Seven garments in two weeks is a lot. It took me so long to get the hang of sewing curves on my overlocker and even now they sometimes look a mess. I think your dress looks great. I love the print with the black. I bet you're the only one that notices the little puckers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My OH noticed them, but to be fair he has had years of me pointing out sewing flaws in ready to wear clothes and stuff I have made!

      Delete
  3. It looks great! I love it when you make something intended to be an "around the house" outfit turns into a perfect day dress. Happy Days! Please don't cut it up - it looks really good and it has been your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry! I'm done with summery prints for now so it has a reprieve until next year at least! I'm hoping to get started on some nice autumnal sewing soon

      Delete
  4. Hope you had a good time at Disney. That dress is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, we had an excellent time at Disney - I'm already plotting our return :)

      Delete